A long - term visa (National visa - D Type Visa) is an authorization issued by the competent Greek Authorities for the entry and stay of third - country nationals in Greek territory for a period exceeding 90 and up to 365 days, according to the respective national legislation or European Union Law on the residence status of third - country nationals. Competent Authority for issuing a national visa is the Greek Diplomatic Mission or Consular Post in whose jurisdiction the applicant is legally located.
Applicants can submit an application for a long stay visa in Greece at the London Visa Application Centre. To book an appointment, please click here.
Subsequently, applicants must present themselves in person before the Greek Diplomatic Mission or Consular Post in the jurisdiction of which they legally reside and regardless of the national visa category to be issued, in order to be interviewed, to establish the purpose of their entry and stay in Greece.
Most commonly national visas are issued for such purposes as studies, voluntary services, temporary work of members of artistic groups and tour leaders and residence for financially independent persons. The general supporting documents and detailed information and specific requirements for each of these purposes of the intended stay can be viewed in the relevant sections below.
- Members of artistic groups
- Tour leaders
- Financially independent persons
- Studies in Universities (undergraduate, master and doctoral levels)
- Voluntary services
For all other purposes of long-stay National "D" Visa, please click here to download the file which refers to the supporting documents for each category of National Visas.
The long - term visa (national visa - D Type Visa) may be issued under the following general conditions and as long as the applicant, third - country national, produces to the competent Diplomatic Mission or Consular Post:
- a fully completed and signed application form for a long - term national visa, accompanied by a recent colour photograph of the applicant, which must meet the relevant standards provided by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). The application form stands for the statutory declaration, provided by paragraph 6, Article 22 of Act 1599/1986, that the data reported are true and the supporting documents are not forged or falsified.
- a passport or any other travel document recognized by the competent Greek Authorities meeting the following criteria:
a) its validity exceeds by at least three months the intended date of departure from the territory of the Enhanced Schengen Cooperation Member - States or, in case of more than one visits, after the last intended date of departure from the territory of the Member - States;
b) it has at least two blank pages;
c) it has been issued within the previous decade.
- criminal record certificate issued by the foreign authorities, certifying the criminal status of the applicant in the country of his/her residence. In cases where the applicant demonstrably lives in a country different from that of his/her origin, for more than a year before lodging the entry visa application, the Consular Post may, additionally, request the presentation of a criminal record certificate issued by the country of nationality of the third - country national, as long as the country of his/her residence does not require a criminal record certificate issued by the country of nationality, to issue a residence permit.
In cases where there is a final court judgment, irrespective of the sentence, and in order to prove the relevance of the offence with reasons that may constitute a danger to public order and security, specific reasons are sought and individual parameters are weighed, such as the severity of the offence, recidivism and, in general, the unlawful conduct of the third - country national.
- medical certificate issued by a recognized state or private institution, showing that the person concerned does not suffer from a disease which may constitute a risk to public health, according to the international data of the World Health Organization (WHO) and the European Union acquis, as well as other infectious, contagious or parasitic diseases, imposing the taking of measures to protect public health;
Please download, print out and fill in the medical certificate, which needs to be submitted along with the required documents at the Visa Application Centre.
- the person concerned is not considered a threat to public order, internal security, public health or international relations and is not registered as undesirable in national databases,
- has travel insurance, with a duration equal to, at minimum, that of the visa issued, covering the costs which may arise in case of repatriation for medical reasons, for urgent medical care and/or for emergency hospital care.
In order to establish that there are no grounds for refusing entry under paragraph 2, Article 4 of Act 4251/2014, the competent Diplomatic Mission and Consular Post may require that additional supporting documents are filed.
Third - country nationals, members of artistic groups, may be granted national visas which entitle them to access the labour market, exclusively to provide the specific work, given the uniform structure of the artistic group.
As provided in par. (f), Article 18 of Law 4251/2014 non EU/EEA nationals, tourist group leaders entering the country for this specific purpose, may be granted, following an interview, a national visa indicating, in the field “REMARKS” of the visa sticker, the reference «B.6 Tourist Group Leaders», provided the persons concerned submit to the competent Diplomatic Mission or Consular Authority the following supporting documents:
As provided in section A, Article 20 of Law 4251/2014, non EU/ EEA nationals, provided the persons concerned have sufficient income at the stable annual income level to cover their subsistence expenses, may be granted, following an interview, a national visa indicating, in the field “REMARKS” of the visa sticker, the reference «C.4.1 Financially independent persons», provided the persons concerned submit to the competent Diplomatic Mission or Consular Authority the following supporting documents:
Pursuant to Articles 31, 32 and 36 of Law 4251/2014 non EU/EEA nationals who have been admitted to a higher education institute in the Greek territory, in order to attend a full - time curriculum in Greece, may be granted, following an interview, a national visa indicating, in the field “REMARKS” of the visa sticker, the reference «D.1.1 Studies», provided the persons concerned submit to the competent Diplomatic Mission or Consular Authority the following supporting documents:
In accordance with the provisions of Articles 31, 32 and 38 of Law 4251/2014 non EU/EEA nationals who wish to enter Greece to offer voluntary services, in a solidarity activities program, based on a national or a EU programme, and pursuing objectives of general interest, may be granted, following an interview, a national visa indicating, in the field “REMARKS” of the visa sticker, the reference «D.2 Volunteer», provided the persons concerned submit to the competent Diplomatic Mission or Consular Authority the following supporting documents:
According to Article 5, paragraph 7 of Act 4251/2014, national visas are issued based on the respective residence permit regulations and their duration is related, as the case may be, to that of intended stay. Additionally, Foreign Affairs Minister Decree F3497.3/AP24245/2014 (Government Gazette No. 1820, issue B’) determines the general supporting documents and the issuing procedure for national long - term entry visas. Finally, Joint Ministerial Decree No. 30825/14 (Government Gazette No. 1528, issue B’,) specifies the documents required for issuing national entry visas and the issuing and renewing of residence permits pursuant to Act 4251/20143.
Before submitting your application make sure that your photo is in a high resolution format. Applicants should present two recent (not more than 6 months old) passport-sized photos that should be: