A long - term visa (National visa - D Type Visa) is an authorization issued by the competent Greek Authorities for the entry and stay of third - country nationals in Greek territory for a period exceeding 90 and up to 365 days, according to the respective national legislation or European Union Law on the residence status of third - country nationals. Competent Authority for issuing a national visa is the Greek Diplomatic Mission or Consular Post in whose jurisdiction the applicant is legally located.
Applicants can submit an application for a long stay visa in Greece at the Visa Application Centres. To book an appointment, please click here.
Subsequently, applicants must present themselves in person before the Greek Diplomatic Mission or Consular Post in the jurisdiction of which they legally reside and regardless of the national visa category to be issued, in order to be interviewed, to establish the purpose of their entry and stay in Greece.
Most commonly national visas are issued for such purposes as studies, voluntary work, temporary work of members of artistic groups and tour leaders and residence for financially independent persons and digital nomads. The general supporting documents and detailed information and specific requirements for each of these purposes of the intended stay can be viewed in the relevant sections below.
- Members of artistic groups
- Tour leaders
- Financially independent individuals
- Digital nomads
- University studies in AEI (bachelor, master and doctoral studies)
- Voluntary work
For all other purposes of long-stay National "D" Visa, please click here to download the file which refers to the supporting documents for each category of National Visas.
A long-stay visa (national visa – Visa D) may be granted under the following general conditions, provided that the applicant third country-national submits to the relevant diplomatic or consular authority of:
- A fully completed and signed application form for a long-stay national visa, accompanied by a recent, coloured photograph of the applicant, which shall comply with the relevant ICAO-defined specifications. The application shall be in the form of a solemn statement provided for in the provisions of paragraph 6 of Article 22 of L. 1599/1986 declaring that the included data are true and the supporting documents are not false or falsified.
- Passport or other travel document recognized by the competent Greek authorities which meets the following criteria:
(a) it shall be valid for at least three months from the date of intended departure from the territory of the Member States of the Schengen enhanced cooperation, or, in the case of more visits, after the last scheduled date of departure from the territory of the Member States, however, in justified cases of urgency, this obligation may be waived;
(b) it shall contain at least two blank pages,
(c) it has been issued within the previous decade.
- A certificate of criminal record from the foreign authorities certifying the applicant’s criminal record in his country of residence (either ACRO certificate or DBS Enhanced certificate are accepted and they should be issued within the last 6 months from the date of the application submitted at the VAC). In cases where it is established that the applicant has resided in a country other than his or her country of origin, for more than one year before the application for a visa, the consular authority may, in addition, request a criminal record from the country of nationality of the alien, if the country of residence does not require a criminal record from the country of nationality to issue a residence permit.
In cases where a final judgment exists, whatever the sentence, in order to establish the relevance of the offence to grounds which pose a threat to public policy and security, specific reasons shall be sought and parameters weighted, such as the seriousness of the offence, the recidivism and the general misconduct of the third-country national.
- A medical certificate from a recognized state or private body, showing that the applicant does not suffer from a disease capable of posing a risk to public health in accordance with the international data of the World Health Organization (WHO) and the EU acquis, as well as other infectious, contagious or parasitic diseases, which require measures to protect public health (more information on infectious diseases can be found on the website of the Hellenic National Public Health Organization - EODY);
Please download, print out and submit the medical certificate filled in, signed and stamped by the doctor along with the required documents at the Visa Application Centre.
- travel insurance, with a period of validity equal to the visa issued, as a minimum, which covers the costs that may arise in the event of repatriation for medical reasons, for emergency medical care and/or emergency hospital care.
And in addition, the applicant should:
- not to be considered as a threat to public order, internal security, public health or international relations and not be registered as persona non grata (undesirable alien) in national databases,
In order to establish that there are no conditions for refusing entry in Article 4 par. (2) of L. 4251/2014, the competent diplomatic mission and consular office may require additional supporting documents.
Nationals of a third country who are members of artistic groups may be granted a national visa granting access to the labour market solely for the purpose of providing the work concerned, taking into account the uniform structure of the artistic group.
As referred to in Article 18(f) of L. 4251/2014 , the Decision of the Minister of Foreign Affairs with A.F. 3497.3/AP 24245/OJ B' 1820/03.07.2014, and JMD 30825/OJ B' 1528/06.06.2014, third-country nationals, tour leaders entering the country for this purpose may be granted, following a personal appearance and interview, a national visa , with reference to the national data area «OBSERVATIONS» of the visa sticker, the reference 'B.6 Tour Leaders`, upon procurement to the relevant diplomatic or consular authorities of:
As referred to in point a of Article 20 of L. 4251/2014 , the Decision of the Minister of Foreign Affairs with A.F. 3497.3/AP 24245/OJ B' 1820/03.07.2014, and JMD 30825/OJ B' 1528/06.06.2014, third-country nationals, provided that the persons concerned have sufficient resources at the level of fixed annual income to cover subsistence costs, may be granted following a personal appearance and interview, a national visa, indicating in the national data area «OBSERVATIONS» of the visa sticker, the reference to ‘C.4.1 Financially Independent Individuals’ upon procurement to the relevant diplomatic mission or consular office of:
As referred to in case ie' of paragraph 1 of Article 16 of article 18 of L. 4251/2014121, as amended and applicable to third-country nationals, self-employed, freelancers or employees, who work remotely with the use of Information and Communications Technologies (I.C.T.) with employers or clients based outside Greece (digital nomads) may be granted, following a personal appearance and interview, a national visa for a period of up to twelve (12) months, indicating in the national data area «OBSERVATIONS» of the visa sticker, the reference "B.16. Digital Nomads", upon procurement (which should be carried out either in person, or via electronic postage, or via tracked and recorded letter) to the relevant diplomatic or consular authority, which is under obligation to reply within 10 days of the relevant application and to complete the granting process of the one-stop service visa of:
As referred to in Articles 31, 32 and 36 L. 4251/2014 , the Decision of the Minister of Foreign Affairs with A.F. 3497.3/AP 24245/OJ B' 1820/03.07.2014, and the JMD 30825/OJ B' 1528/06.06.2014, third-country nationals who have been admitted to a higher education institution in the Greek territory to attend a full-time study programme in Greece following a personal appearance and interview, may be granted a national visa, indicating in the national data area «OBSERVATIONS» of the visa sticker, the reference ‘D.1.1 Studies’, upon procurement to the relevant diplomatic or consular authority of:
As referred to in Articles 31, 32 and 38 L. 4251/2014, the Decision of the Minister of Foreign Affairs with A.F. 3497.3/AP 24245/OJ B' 1820/03.07.2014, and the JMD 30825/OJ B' 1528/06.06.2014, third-country nationals who wish to enter for voluntary service in Greece into a programme of active solidarity activities based on a programme recognized by Greece or the European Union, pursuing objectives of general interest and having a non-profit character, following a personal appearance and interview, may be granted a national visa indicating in the national data area «OBSERVATIONS» of the visa sticker, the reference ‘D.2 Voluntary work’, upon procurement to the relevant diplomatic mission or consular office:
According to Article 5, paragraph 7 of Act 4251/2014, national visas are issued based on the respective residence permit regulations and their duration is related, as the case may be, to that of intended stay. Additionally, Foreign Affairs Minister Decree F3497.3/AP24245/2014 (Government Gazette No. 1820, issue B’) determines the general supporting documents and the issuing procedure for national long - term entry visas. Finally, Joint Ministerial Decree No. 30825/14 (Government Gazette No. 1528, issue B’,) specifies the documents required for issuing national entry visas and the issuing and renewing of residence permits pursuant to Act 4251/20143.
Before submitting your application make sure that your photo is in a high resolution format. Applicants should present two recent (not more than 6 months old) passport-sized photos that should be: